Having always had dogs, I’ve known for a long time that chocolate hurts dogs. I often have fun asking experts or presumed experts why, discovering that the answer is perhaps the most unknown of all, a clear example of how to pass on a concept without understanding.
Forget those who answer you “because it contains harmful substances”, a painful attempt to hide their absolute ignorance.
Then there are those who do better and try to explain what these substances are. The recovery of the name from memory is often a titanic undertaking and sometimes funny mixtures come out of it. On the Internet there are 10 pages that talk about theobromine, a term born perhaps from the memory of thalidomide, the terrible drug that in the 50s of the last century caused serious malformations in newborns. In fact, the exact name of the substance is theobromine, an alkaloid present in cocoa (and in small quantities in tea).
At least 30 out of 100 experts remember the name, but they fall into the following questions: what is the harmful dose? Milligrams, grams, kilograms? Let’s say that some of the 100 parties come to a conclusion. Probably the best ones remember that the lethal dose (that is, the deadly one for 50% of the dogs in the sample) is 330 mg/kg in weight. Obviously a milk chocolate with 15% cocoa contains less cocoa than a 75% dark chocolate.
In cocoa there are 1.4 g of theobromine per 100 g (actually 0.6 to 1.8 g). So for a 20 kg dog the lethal dose is about half a kilo of 100% cocoa chocolate. Obviously there are serious problems at much lower doses, say a fifth of the lethal dose, ie for example about 100 g of dark chocolate 100% cocoa or 500-800 g of milk chocolate (depending on the amount of cocoa).
The numbers are used to give an idea of the problem. But after you’ve seen them,
Would you give your dog chocolate?
Answer sincerely and continue reading. You will understand how everything in life is connected and that something about your dog can also affect your personal choices.
Chocolate and dogs: the logical consequences…
chocolate and dogsHave you answered the question about the harmfulness of chocolate for dogs?
Did you answer that you would ever give your dog chocolate? What does this answer mean? Yes, you are cautious, perhaps too cautious, but above all you are incoherent if you consume alcohol. In fact, the game came to mind knowing that the last person who “informed” me not to give chocolate to dogs is a normal consumer of alcohol. In fact, even alcohol has a lethal dose (10 g per kg of weight), but all, when they drink, they forget it. For a person of 60 kg drink 1.5 liters of whisky is like for a dog of 20 kg take half a kilo of cocoa. For the same subject to drink 0,5 litre of wine is like for a dog of 20 kg to take 100 g of dark chocolate to 50%.
According to your answer, you wouldn’t even give your dog a chocolate bar, but are you unconscious enough to drink half a liter of wine a day? Congratulations. Incidentally, the same goes for coffee, but the DL (lethal dose) for our 60 kg subject is about 120 coffees. As I say, the numbers to make decisions count: 2 coffees a day yes, half a liter of wine no.